Saturday, October 23, 2010

Request for More Information


So I've been getting a lot of requests for more detailed information on what I actually am doing in Slovakia.    And I will admit that I have been taking the easy way out on this blog.  It is so much easier to post pictures of what we are doing on the weekends than to describe in many many words the things I'm learning about God and what he is doing in my heart.  I also selfishly kinda want to come home and preach a couple hundred sermons on this stuff, and if I just post it on a blog I don't get any of that.  :) But selfishness is the enemy of godliness so I'll give you some "teaching" for free this weekend.  I'm going to spend some time myself going over my notes from the last five weeks (especially this last week because it was stuffed full of information).  So while I'm doing that I plan to pull out some major points that have made an impact on me, and convict me (and hopefully will be used by God in some of your lives also).

So stay tuned for the multiple posts that I'm expecting to come up over the next few days.   But until then I'll give you an example of how learning Slovak is going for me.  I was at Mass with Janka last weekend and this was written at the front of the church:

The service was in Slovak so it wasn't overly stimulating for me ( I actually felt like most Catholics who went to Mass back when everything was in Latin).  So I was looking around at the beautiful church and realized that I knew what this means!  In English we would say "My Lord and My God".  But literally its something like "Lord Mine and God Mine".  (Pan is Lord, Boh is God, Moj is mine, and "a" is and).  So I obviously am learning something even if I feel light years behind everyone else. 

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. sometimes people just call someone moja. as in like my baby or something i guess. they'll say "co moja" or something like that. moja doesn't always follow the noun, but i think when it is endearing it is. but that is entirely from my own observation and could be completely wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janka was explaining something about poetic vrs normal language... and usually that the adjective goes first but in this case since it is poetic and old it wasn't. Either way I feel very accomplished. :)

    ReplyDelete