Wednesday, October 20, 2010

High Tatras

What do you do while you are waiting for your computer to update your ipod?  Blog of course!

So there is one part left from our weekend that I haven't shown pictures from yet:  The High Tatra Mountains.  We visited a village up the mountain and walked around a ski resort. When i write it that way, it seems really dumb, but it was a cool experience.

First there was a lake:

Then there was a restaurant with big wooden people.

Then there was a wooden swing:


We liked the wooden swing.


We really liked the wooden swing.

But we had to move on, mostly because the swing was getting to exciting and Art was being too loud and all the other tourists were staring and we were worried the restaurant owners would come and ask us to stop scaring away customers.

But thankfully what was around the bend was way more exciting!
Ski Jumps!  Now maybe some people think that isn't very exciting but remember that I come from the prairies. And although i have visited the mountains, I have never seen a ski jump like this. There is actually an old ski jump and a new one... or at least that is what we have guessed.  

This particular spot was were some kind of games happened in 1970 and they had ski jumping and cross country skiing. The area is known for their cross country athletes, which forced me to bring up Beckie Scott. Only an Olympic Gold medalist in cross country from my home town. 

They had never heard of her. 

Oh well.  

So we also saw the torch from those games.
I think it shows that it was from the 1970's.  It doesn't hold a candle to the Vancouver Caldron. (pun intended). 

Also notice the olympic mittens.  

They make me, and everyone else who wears them, feel very Canadian.

And of course I needed to stand where the medals were awarded.

So it was quite the little alpine adventure!  




2 comments:

  1. Alison! I love reading your blog, how you write makes me feel like you are telling me in person. I miss you dear!

    ReplyDelete