Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Hostel

Okay, so since no one is around yet to day i figured it was perfect for being a weirdo and taking pictures of the place.  :)  I hope you guys actually want to see it because I'm going to post them all now with explanations.

So this is a four story building.  I just got Katie to confirm that and she got very confused. I had to tell her I meant floors.  Then she said yes there is the basement... so we just confirmed that what she meant was the first floor, in "Katie English".

Anyways, there are four stories. The first is like most old buildings in that there is a walkway from the front to the back courtyard (which in this case has doors blocking it off on both ends) with some doors going off the passageway.  We take one of those doors up a staircase to the second floor which is where I'm going to spend most of my time.
This was the door waiting for me at the far end of the hall on the second floor. Then to its right is the door to the kitchen then the door to go upstairs.  If you go through this (the one above) door we have another room/hall with some bookcases and computers. And off of that is a lounge:
 
And a lecture room that I'm not going to put up picture of yet because it isn't set up yet. 
But this is the view out the windows in those rooms.  Its the view of the front of the building.  And these windows open completely without any screens or anything. So I'm hoping to be able to sit in these windows and read before it gets too cold for the winter. 



Then the kitchen is actually pretty big, but the kitchen part is squeezed into this little area of it.






Then because I am snooping around I opened the door that goes out the back of the building. There actually is a terrace out there on the second level, but I'm guessing its unsafe because there is an iron bar door locked so you can't get out. But this is the picture I got:

The wall with the drawing on it is the back wall of the courtyard.

So now we can go up to the rooms. Scary door huh? Its made of some sort of metal and looks like its a couple hundred years old. Makes you think someone will lock you up there!


But as you walk up the stairs there is this amazing mural of trees and bunnies and the banska tower.


This is actually the view from the third floor "lounge". I don't have another name for it. So this is the view from my bedroom door outward to the lounge.


Then this is the view of the bedroom that I'm going to be sharing with just one other girl.

Its huge! This is from the door inwards.
My bunk is on the right bottom.


And we are lucky enough to have an en suite bathroom! 



It looks pretty normal? Its pretty small i guess...
But it also has a hot water tank in the bathroom.


That is all the hot water we get for the entire day because it only warms water at night. Good thing there isn't five girls in this room, or that could get interesting.

And the last thing is the view from my window. 

Nothing interesting. I just look at a sloped metal roof. But isn't the way the window is made cool?  And I'm guessing the bars is to keep people out.. especially if criminals actually walk around in europe on the roof like in those in video games. I guess that probably happens in movies too. 

So that is my home away from home for the next three months. YMCA Hostel: The picture tour.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good, Alison. Looks like you will be comfortable in your new home-away-from-home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison! That looks pretty homey! I'm glad to read you made it safely and I pray that your time in Slovakia will a total blessing on your life!
    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, those pictures are making me miss Slovensko. The town towers, the cool looking buildings, the L symbol DL grocery bag on your kitchen counter. i just keep looking to see if there is a Lubor driving his car really fast down one of the streets!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like things look old and rustic! That would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete