Friday, April 06, 2012

Easter In Banska


I had an amazing idea for a post a week or so ago. I thought, "I'll put that up for Easter. People would enjoy it." Now for the life of me I can't remember what it was. So instead I'm just going to put my random thoughts on Easter this year up on the internet for all to see.

This is my first Easter not being at home. It is strange to think about actually.  Last year I missed Christmas but very deliberately was home for Easter. This year I miss both.  Hopefully I don't regret it, but at the very least it is going to be a different experience.

Being in Slovakia itself makes Easter seem different.  Two weeks ago a big tree was put up in the middle of the square and decorated with paper Easter eggs. Then all these booths selling different folk arts were set up on the square and a kind of spring festival appeared.  I enjoyed it when I was able to get to the square, but that wasn't very often.  One day I made a point of it and was able to catch a folk music and dance group performing. The dance was pretty lame (compared to the fast paced, competitive Ukrainian dance of my youth) but I really enjoyed taking pictures of their costumes.  They really intrigued me.  Now I'm even wondering if I should buy myself one of their traditional blouses as they are very pretty in my mind and would stand out against traditional Ukrainian clothing.



Someone's funny belt got loose!


There is one thing about Easter in Slovakia that I'm not very stoked about at all. It is their Easter Monday tradition of throwing water on girls and hitting them with willow sticks. It is meant to bring girls fertility or something but I think it was more of a spring flirting ritual as all the young guys are the ones going door to door dowsing people. Apparently Slovak girls even like it. So I am praying very hard for nice weather Monday so I'm not freezing when I'm wet! As for the willow sticks- we saw tons on sale in the square but Shay didn't buy one so I think I'm safe on that account. 


This Easter was the first time that I had ever prayed the Stations of the Cross. A Slovak Catholic friend took us and it was great!  I can't believe that I had never been exposed to this before. I think it was one of the moments that I realized that ecumenism is something that is important in Canada too. If I had been part of an ecumenical group in Canada, who knows how my relationship with God would have grown and matured? So even if you are Protestant, take some time to think about the death of Jesus.   You can find a prayer outline here that was made for youth, but I'm sure there are many more around. Really check it out!  

Have a Good Friday and Great Easter.  
He is Risen. He is Risen Indeed!





No comments:

Post a Comment