Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wedding Stalking

So some of my friends might know that I attended a fair number of weddings this summer as well as randomly stumbling upon more when I was just being a tourist in BC.  Well, it turns out that the trend continues!


We stumbled upon a SLOVAK WEDDING!

They actually were all just walking out of the Catholic Church downtown as we walked into the square. I saw the white limo and new what was going on right away!  So we stood at the outskirts of the crowd of guests and watched. Until they actually gathered all the guests to take a big picture with everyone (this actually was something I had never seen before, but I think its pretty cool.)  Janka said this was a pretty expensive wedding, and quite formal. All the women the bride's age were wearing evening dresses, and even that they had a limo.  However, there was one thing that seemed pretty traditional to me:

It was a stick with ribbons that this middle aged man was carrying.  It made me think of Ukrainian wedding traditions but Janka didn't know what it meant. So she went up to the man and asked!  I was so surprised! But she later explained that he was kindof the wedding manager who does the introductions etc, and he had a ribbon for every wedding he had "managed".  Not nearly as exciting as i had hoped the stick would be... I actually think its a pretty gawdy thing to carry around for no reason but whatever.

So I have seen a Slovak wedding now, however they said that if we could weasel our way into a wedding in a village, that would be the ultimate experience. Seeing as we know no one, chances are slim of that happening. 

Thanks for reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment