Friday, June 18, 2010

A Survival Story


I've survived my first day of doing both a graveyard shift and a day shift consecutively.  It actually panned out to be 12-8 at one place, home for a shower etc, and then 10-6 at the other.  I survived pleasingly well.  I had a harder time concentrating from 3-4 but I think I remember what we talked about, and then from 4-6 we were driving so I'm not surprised that I was tired.  However, the mistake I made was to "have a nap" when I got home.  I don't even remember the alarm I set... I slept right through until quarter after one this morning.  Good news is I know that seven hours seems to be the amount of sleep I need.  Bad news is that it is now almost two and I'm blogging. More good news is that blogging seems to putting me back to sleep so I should be snoozing again soon. 

I'm really liking the corrections job, the research isn't overly difficult, just time consuming and the pay is amazing.  Better than any job I got in Alberta.  And I am learning a lot about Criminology and stuff that I actually didn't learn anything at all about in school.  So this is really going to expand my horizons. And I really like that.  

Lastly, I went with work to New Westminster yesterday and had the chance to be a little bit of a tourist.  They have some pretty old buildings and cute shops on Columbia street (i think that was the name).  We ate at the Spaghetti factory. Walked by the keg. Saw some beautiful brick building exteriors. And there are about 10 bridal shops on a 3 or 4 block strip! The history of the area seemed very rich and its right along the river so our parking stall had a view!  I really need to go back and take pictures.  

But now I think I will do my best to sleep again, and I will think ahead better in the future and not let myself sleep all evening so I wake up in the wee hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment