Thursday, June 03, 2010

First Shift


I've officially started one of the jobs. This is at a residential treatment program for aboriginal teen girls, most of which are in foster care and aren't there by their own choice.  Very big difference from where I was volunteering during the school year.  I can already see really cool differences and ways to run a program like this.  Last night I worked graveyard from midnight to 8am this morning.  And it was cleaning for pretty much the whole time.  They clean the whole house every night which is amazing to me that the vacuum doesn't wake the girls up in the middle of the night.  Although we did get to wake the girls up for school and make and serve them breakfast so I did get to kinda meet them, even if it was in a groggy state.  As for working graveyard, it wasn't that big of deal. I came home, made my phone calls, went to bed for a couple hours. Then i got up and had something to eat, stayed up for an hour and slept for a couple more hours.  I could totally get used to this. Its supper time and I'm sitting in the sun on the front porch typing my blog.  This is the life!

However, my tune might change.  Right now I have 113 hours on the schedule this month which is about 20 hours a week.  But with the research position I was offered at corrections canada I'm hoping to fill that out for June with some 9-5 hours when I can, and then get to a normal week of those hours with less of the graveyard stuff. Hopefully God can sort it all out because I really like both jobs right now.

So tonight I'm going to be cleaning again, and it will go much faster than last night because I don't need instructions on everything.  I'm excited because there are all these binders of procedure I'm itching to read.  I'm a geek aren't I? Wanting to read procedure?  It must be a sign that this is the stuff I am interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment