Sunday, August 21, 2011

What am I reading...

'Reflecting' on Lewis' writings.
(North of Dewberry, AB)


Its quite a bit of CS Lewis actually.  Shay got me started reading Mere Christianity and I finally finished last weekend at camp.  I really enjoyed it!  There were one or two analogies I wasn't a fan of, but for the most part I loved what he had to say about what Christianity is supposed to be and why we should care.  There were so many good analogies that I won't even try to write them all. Read the book and see how amazing it is yourself. The people with me last weekend were bombarded by me reading snippets because it is too good to keep to yourself!  (I think that is why Shay had me read a couple of the chapters in the first place).

I do want to share a couple things though.  The first is a thought that I like and believe is very true:

"God is easy to please, but hard to satisfy."  If I commented this blog post would be very long. But think on it.

And the second was a great illustration of how God is the root of so many things. Lewis is talking about how God helps us become who he wants us to be. That he is not only rooting us on but actively engaged in helping and such. But some people don't think God is helping:

"You may say 'I've never had the sense of being helped by an invisible Christ, but I often have been helped by other human beings.' That is rather like the woman in the first war who said that if there were a bread shortage it would not bother her house because they always ate toast.  If there is no bread there ill be no toaste. If there were no help from Christ, there would be no help form other human beings."

I LOVE that. Because it is so true. God works through others and it is because God exist that the world exists, that good happens, that you are helped...

After I finished Mere Christianity it only took me three days to get through The Great Divorce. I LOVED that book too. I need to get my own copies of these so I can write in them.. right now I am using a library copy.

As for everything else in my life: I'm packing. I'm excited. I have all my flights booked.  But my external hard drive just stopped working 10 mins ago... lets hope its the heat and it works tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment