Saturday, November 20, 2010

He is excited for you to wake up...



We have been talking about the character of God during these entire two months (today is exactly two months since our first day of DTS).  And last week someone said something that really caught me off guard:
God waits for you to wake up in the morning, and he is excited for you to wake up!

So if you think about analogies in our lives for that there are a couple ways of looking at it.  Some people might think that is kinda creepy, with God standing at the foot of your bed watching you sleep.  I think those people should watch less horror films.

But maybe you think about a really excited little kid, who really really wants to play with you.  That might be closer.  Because I do think that God is excited for you to wake up, but he also is patient.  And he won't wake you up prematurely (although he may wake you up in some circumstances... which is a sign of his love I think).  So the excitement of a child probably is a good way of seeing it.

But the analogy that I really like, I'm expecting many people to think is kinda dumb.  I think that Twilight actually illustrates this perfectly.  (I admit I have read/watched Twilight, and I acknowledge its many flaws and negative impact on girls and society in general. But listen to my point even if you don't like the overall concept).  In Twilight there is a immortal being who is in love with a mortal being.  I think that may be comparable on a very base level of how God loves us. This immoral being does not need to sleep. But what does it do when the mortal needs to sleep?  He stays. His presence remains with her, even though she cannot relate with him. She cannot give anything to him while she sleeps.  In the same way, God doesn't leave us while we sleep to go do something more "productive" (never mind because he is omnipresent and doesn't need to).  His presence stays with us as we sleep, and he waits out of love and patience for us to wake up.  Then he can begin to commune with us again.

Now I realize that this is not a perfect analogy, and I know that some of you are ready to throw me out as a heretic, so I plead for grace. If you don't like the idea that God loves you so much that he is excited when you wake up, then please don't feel required to believe that God loves you like that.  But if that resonates with your heart, ask him to reveal to you its truth.

1 comment:

  1. When I first started reading this post, Twilight jumped into my head, so I chuckled when I read the rest... I think it's a perfect analogy! Actually I have to admit after reading the Twilight books it made me really think about God's love in a different way. Might sound weird, but I think we can learn a lot from fiction. I love this post, Allison!

    ReplyDelete