Monday, November 28, 2011

Bratislava Christmas Market

I love Christmas. I don't think I realized until I spent a year in a warm, foreign country without my family.   Now I don't take Christmas for granted. So when we were able to go to Bratislava for the Christmas Market last weekend, we were so excited. It ended up being quite the adventure too!

Janko hosted us at his own home and also some of his friends let us stay at their flat. However, we arrived Saturday morning to go into the city and found that one of the other residents of the floor had changed the lock on the metal gate. And no one seemed to be home to let us in or the people inside out!  Thankfully one man came home from his shopping and had the new key. But the stress of wondering if  we were going to get them out is pretty crazy!

This is our group minus me with all the identical flats behind us.


The UFO Bridge in Bratislava from the castle.

 My favorite church in the world! Not quite as beautiful after they cleaned it up, but I think it is still my favourite.

 Bratislava Castle from across the river

The view of the castle from the top of the UFO bridge. That is one fancy restaurant!

Enough of just the pretty city. Now for the Christmas stuff!!

This says Christmas Market on the signs. 

 Some pretty little Christmas shops. I think they are adorable!

Nice little trees on a side street


 Lollipops for Christmas?

Cute hanging gingerbread house.

Hot Honeywine (Medovina)

It was so nice to have a Christmas adventure with a somewhat cold climate
 (even if we didn't have any snow at all). 


No comments:

Post a Comment